Over the last few years, K-beauty (and, to an extent, J-Beauty) has been blowing up! More and more people across the globe are ditching their conventional cleansing regimens in favour of the 10-step K-beauty skincare routine. This is because it has been shown to improve tone, hydration and radiance.
Want to unlock the glowing skin of your dreams but don’t know where to start? We got you. Here’s how to build, and execute, your 10-step routine. The results will be worth it, we promise!
1. Oil cleanser
A thorough oil cleanse can get rid of sunscreen and even the most long-wearing makeup. Not only that, but it also removes a buildup of oil and debris that can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. No thanks!
- The cult classic Banila Co. Clean it Zero Cleansing Balm Original has tons of five-star reviews. And one jar sells every 3.1 seconds. It’s that good!
- 22 million bottles of the extraordinary DHC Deep Cleansing Oil are sold worldwide each year, and this popular and effective cleanser is suitable for all skin types.
2. Water Cleanser
Water cleanser refers to cleansers that are water-soluble. They can be a foam, gel or cream consistency. It’s important to follow up your oil cleanse with a second one to ensure that no greasy film is left behind.
- The award-winning COSRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser is gentle enough for all skin types, keeps your skin’s delicate pH in balance and totally lives up to the hype.
- If you struggle with spots, the Pyunkang Yul Acne Facial Cleanser is formulated using micro-bubble technology to gently but effectively unclog pores for clear, comfortable skin.
When it comes to exfoliation, there are two ways to go about it: Physical or chemical. This means choosing between a scrub or chemical exfoliant, both of which are effective in keeping skin smooth.
- Made using organic black sugar, the Skinfood Black Sugar Wash Off Mask is a two-in-one product that hydrates and nourishes while gently buffing away dead skin cells.
- Yes, wine can get your skin lit, too! The Neogen Bio-peel Gentle Gauze Peeling Wine Pads offer both manual and chemical exfoliation in one easy-to-use product.
4. Toner or mist
When it comes to achieving the glowing skin of your dreams, it all comes down to hydration. Mists or toners are the first of the layers and can prep your skin for the rest of your regimen.
- The Heimish Bulgarian Rose Water Mist Serum applies like a fine mist but has the effectiveness of a serum, being rich in skin-loving vitamins and minerals.
- If you want a toner that treats and soothes at the same time, the Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner improves texture while giving your skin a moisture boost.
Essence is one of the cornerstones of a K-beauty skincare routine. They are thicker than toner but lighter than serums and offer even more hydration (and even more benefits!).
- Snail mucin is becoming increasingly popular due to its restorative and hydrating properties. The COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence contains 96% of this powerhouse ingredient.
- The best-selling Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence Rx can be patted onto the skin after using a mist or toner for plump skin with a refined texture.
6. Serum or ampoule
Serums and ampoules contain a concentrated amount of active ingredients to help you target specific skincare concerns. Apply a few drops to your skin once your essence has fully absorbed.
- The iconic Innisfree Green Tea Seed Serum has amassed a worldwide fan base for its ability to keep all skin types balanced, healthy and glowing.
- The Isntree C-Niacin Toning Ampoule is rich in antioxidants which help to prevent sun damage and simultaneously tackle signs of ageing.
We have the K-beauty skincare movement to thank for the invention of both sheet and sleeping masks. They can be used to amp up your hydration levels for a dewy complexion.
- It doesn’t get much cuter than the A’Pieu Milk One-Pack Sheet Masks, which come in a variety of ‘flavours’ so that you can give your skin some targeted TLC.
8. Eye cream
Our eyes are one of the first areas to show signs of ageing. That’s why using an eye cream is a must. It can help to delay the development of fine lines, reduce puffiness and prevent dark circles.
- The Benton Snail Bee Ultimate Eye Cream contains no harmful ingredients and helps to increase elasticity in the skin for wide-awake eyes.
- As the name suggests, the Etude House Moistfull Collagen Eye Cream contains hydrolysed collagen to moisturise this sensitive area and leave skin plump and bouncy.
Seal in all the goodness and lock in the layers by using a nourishing moisturiser. This will ensure that the products underneath are able to do their magic and get you glowing.
- Say goodbye to dry skin! The TIA’M My Signature Panthenol Moist Cream increases hydration retention so that moisture is locked in and your skin is kept soft and supple.
No K-Beauty skincare routine is complete without applying some much-needed sun protection. Wearing an SPF daily, and reapplying every few hours, is crucial in maintaining a flawless face.
- The COSRX Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF50 PA++++ is a fan favourite, and offers broad-spectrum protection to even the most sensitive skin types.
- Kao Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50 PA++++ has a unique texture that absorbs easily, sits well under makeup and keeps your skin hydrated and protected.